Here are some helpful tips we found out along the way when it was time to Skype with our girls!
First, prepare! It is hard to just jump on the computer and talk with little kids in another language without some kind of loose plan. We would always get on about 15 min early just to check that everything was working.
Second, find some program that works with your computer to record the skype session. We used QUICK TIME on the Mac. We also used a video camera to record our reactions.This is one of the best things we did! There are several reasons why this is so important.
- You can share it with your family!
- It is amazing how quickly you forget the little details so this is priceless!
- I just love that you can go back and see their sweet faces!
- There were questions that the psychologist answered so we had a way of remembering those important details.
There were many things that we prepared to show them to keep the conversation going. Many of our friends and social workers helped us with ideas. One family even explained to us that since they had a photo book of us, it was like they were checking to make sure the things we were telling them were real. So here is a list that might help you get started!
- family pictures
- books (read to them)
- art made for them
- their room
- tour the house
- movies you have
- drawings from kids you know for them
After several conversations we were seeking more questions to ask. The time you have with them is so special but after awhile it slowed down for us and we were having a hard time coming up with interesting questions. Everyone is nervous, so break the ice and sing a song, read a book, or play Simon says!
Here are some questions:
- What is your favorite food?
- Do you like fruit, candy, or veggies?
- What do you like to watch on TV?
- What is your favorite color?
- Do you like to play outside?
- What do you want to be when you grow up?
- Do you have any questions?
- What do you like to drink?
- What movies do you like?
- How do you like to do your hair?
- What kind of shoes do you like to wear?
- Do you like music?
- What songs do you like?
- Do you like to jump rope?
- Do you play with baby dolls?
- Do you read books?
- What is the weather like?
- Tell them about your weather?
I am so thankful for the opportunity to use Skype to meet my girls. This is such an incredible way to start the transition process for our family. There are so many emotions that they can start processing because we have had several conversations.